Friday, September 3, 2010

The Best Tomato Sauce You Will Ever Eat

Seriously, it is.  And its vegan if your into that.

I can't even take full credit for this either. My mom used to make this as a rough pizza sauce when I was younger and we would use the leftovers on pasta. As an adult, I missed it desperately one night, but being a DIY kinda gal, and stubborn ( "We don't need no steeenkin' cookbooks!"), I made up this recipe instead of just asking for it. Sorry mom. It is more geared towards pasta now, but it's amazing either way.

And I know there's no picture, I'm sorry. We had guests over and ate it all. I promise to put one up when next I cook this.
This recipe feeds 4.

You Will Need:
2-6 hours (its worth it, but see tip below if your pressed)
6-12 Ripe tomatos, depending on size. When in doubt, add more tomatos, they cook down a lot.
1/2 Onion
4-8 Cloves Garlic
4-8 Leaves fresh Basil, quartered
2-4 Sprigs fresh Rosemary
2 Sprigs fresh Thyme
6 Sundried Tomatos
1/3 Cup Olive oil

To Make: 
Heat oven to 300 degrees. It doesn't need to preheat, but its nice if you remember.

Quarter and de-stem all tomatos. Toss in large oven proof dish. Coarsely chop onions, garlic and sundried tomatos and add to dish. Add olive oil and place herbs on top.

Bake for 3-6 hours, stirring every half hour or so. If it looks dry, add more olive oil.

When cooked down to a dark red, brown edged rough sauce that you can no longer resist, you know its ready.
Be sure to remove Rosemary and Thyme twigs before serving. This tastes amazing with a really fresh, fruity Parm.


Tip for those a little short on time:
Use less tomatos and add a 3/4 jar of pre-made marinara sauce. Cook at 350 degrees instead, and it should only take 1.5ish hours.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment