Monday, July 29, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Fudge or Frosting

I have a confession to make. I found a recipe for chocolate buttercream frosting, doctored it so I could eat it, and have been eating it by the spoonful ever since.

My only justification is that I can't eat any of the other goodies I would normally indulge in.
Oh, and it tastes AMAZING!


So here you have it, my recipe for chocolate buttercream frosting, which contains neither butter nor cream. I keep it in the fridge and eat it like fudge, in cubes or by the spoonful. It has a very mild coconut element to it, but I really don't like coconut so I have worked to minimize or complement the flavor as much as possible. Obviously it isn't that strong or I wouldn't be making myself sick on it.

This recepie makes 6oz of frosting.

You will need:

4oz RAW Coconut oil, room temperature (Make sure it is raw, this is very important to the flavor, as toasted coconut oil has a much stronger flavor and cannot be subdued.)
2Tbs Full fat unsweetened coconut milk, room temperature
1/3 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4- 1 Cup powdered sugar
1 1/5 Tbs Vanilla (use the real stuff, its sooooooo worth it)
1/4 Tsp Smoked Salt (normal salt will do, but doesn't smooth out the coconut as well)

To make:
Coconut oil gets soft/liquidy at about 70 degrees, so you want to be sure it is warm enough to have the consistency of soft butter, but not be liquefied. Put it in a bowl and whip it with a fork or whisk. I prefer fork, you lose less.
Measure the cocoa powder and powdered sugar into a sieve, and sift into the bowl with the coconut oil. Incorporate it with your fork or whisk. It will be pasty and dry, but don't lose hope.
Once the oil and powder have been blended, add the coconut milk and vanilla, and blend vigorously until smooth. If you would like stiffer frosting/fudge, add more sugar. Once you have the desired consistency (creamy, delicious and irresistible), add your salt and blend in. More salt can be added to taste, but don't get carried away; there is no way to undo too much but to make more frosting.
Use immediately for frosting, or smooth in pan lined with parchment paper to make fudge. Place in fridge and cut when stiff. I like mine with a little extra smoked salt sprinkled on, but maybe that's a Seattle thing.

Super YUM.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment